Storytime... (KISS)

...the twisted little way I have of writing...

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Watching over the ones I loathe...

Shannon Hollender
Prof. Heroy
Assn 01-2 Poem on
Remembered Visuals
Due 4-6-06

Unanimous Contempt for Those in the Alley

Cats sniffing at the trash-can foulness of dead owls.
Alone in a dank alley of sweet blue-bird smelling Virginia
Sits the carcass. Exquisiteness lost.
I in my window, overlooking Gods grey stones and dung heaps
I wait with my teacup trembling in hand, saucer trembling in hand.
I watch the hogs devour the magnificence. Cats are demons.
Singing songs of ardor to the decay, sloping up the meat.
Ants find the cast-aside marrow-less bird-bones. I weep.
Such grandeur, such frailty… such wonder nature gives its demise.
From weeks ago, bones heaped in greasy piles
Spiders spinning their empire into lacy majesty,
Skeletons of finery, punched out of ruin. Ruin: God’s plenty.
A streak of moon-beam weeps on this sad dignity.
In this corner far off: Drunkards meet to piss and find whores;
Singing of temptation, of enthusiastic rapacious delight
With their white cotton dresses of skin-tight nothingness,
Holes and stains of desire branding them,
The nouveau scarlet letter, yellow and crusty;
Once velvet A’s, now cigarette burned discoloration.
I can almost see them now – Faces pressed against head-boards…
Rakes! Rapes! Enthusiastic, Violent, Lust!
Wax casings of what used to be gloved dignity.
What happened to the delicate mint dresses of lace and frill,
Masks of distinction and valentines of scandalous accusation,
The delicate turns of phrase; the romantic softness.
What ever happened to velvet and lace?
Punched out by the fists of drunkards kissing.
Meager money changing greasy hands.
My sister, one of them, singing the song of cats,
Indifferent in their delight, obsessive in their trade,
Hands on their shoulders, eyes on their backsides
Polished toes unseen by their billy-goat counterparts
I will remember me in her eyes one day.
Till then I watch the beauty fall prey.
Swallowed whole by the beast.

• • •

Word List:
mint, fist, teacups tremble in their saucers, spider, empire, emperor, I will remember me, drunkards meet, kissing, polished toes, cats, owls, alone in Virginia, marrow, streak, cotton dress, lace, punched, velvet, face pressed, valentines, my sister, alleys, cans, on shoulders, stains on fire, wax casing, gloves, untying, skeletons, singing to decay/dump, God’s plenty, Beautiful hogs and billy-goats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter download
Tracker Raven