Storytime... (KISS)

...the twisted little way I have of writing...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

J/1/civic engagement fostered by community commitment

J1/ In “Community, Commitment, and Individuality,” Bellah et al argue that community involvement leads to and fosters civic individualism/civic engagement. Think about the example of Angelo Donatello, who found that embracing his individual heritage as an Italian-American compelled him to join not only a local chapter of the Sons of Italy but also inspired him to become a civic leader in Boston. Think also about Cecilia Dougherty, whose sense of civic engagement—her desire to help the “have nots have power that reflects their numbers” (pg. 84)—extends from her awareness of her private life, i.e. the values instilled in her by her parents as well as her struggles as a widowed housewife with four children. Make a comprehensive list of the many communities—large/small, formal/informal, serious/silly—that you consider yourself a part of. For each community, reflect on what has led you to participate in these communities. Did you join a particular community because it reflected the values you were raised with (such as a religious youth group or)? The values/interests you are beginning to embrace on your own (such as a “simple living” club or a “literary society”)? The values/interests of your peers (such as a ‘greek’ organization or a “Maroon 5” fan club)? To what degree is your membership in these communities an extension of private and/or social aspects of your personality? Please explain.

Community: Student
What has let to my involvement in it: Federal law. After that my parents wanted me to go.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being a Student is an extension of my personality privately because it has afforded me the opportunity to do what I'm doing (and enjoying) now and that is writing. Being a Student is an extension of my personality socially because it has given me so many friends I wouldn't have had or known otherwise. The experiences I've had learning have really become priceless.

Community: Tom-Boy
What has let to my involvement in it: I've always hated being left out and left behind, so i became the roughest, bravest, meanest rough-and-tumble there was to be found on the play-ground. It's something I saw as useful and I got a lot more respect as a could-do-er tan I did as a couldn't-do-er. So I continued to always be head-strong and forward and insistent upon "I'll do it, I can" and "don't you dare treat me like some sort of lady! I can, don't tell me I can't." Plus it's been loads more fun that way. Especially whe you're the hot-chik working in the Mechanics shop or when you're the tiny little thing doing more or carrying more than the boys are capable of. It's a sense to pride, of accomplishment and of self-reliance and independence, and it feels free.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being a Tom-Boy is an extension of my personality privately because it helps me remember what all I can do and what all I have to be proud of and this too has helped me through the lower moments. Being a Tom-Boy is an extension of my personality socially because it has given me more respect and reverance. Both towards and from others.

Community: Atheist
What has led to my involvement in it: A lot of thinking I did in Grade and High School. This combined with the repellant effect of die-hard religious types. Of which I dread becoming so I'll not harp on or badger about what I believe and why, becuase I'm not trying to convince anyone. I just believe what I do.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being an Atheist is an extension of my personality privately because it has allowed me to look at and respect all religions. I enjoy learning as much as I can about all religions and I enjoy thinking about what their belief-systems look like from their point of view and from my atheistic point of view. It's a very enlightening and enjoyable experience. Being an Atheist is an extension of my personality socially because... well it's not. I do my best to not alk about it because I believe that it is a private thing for me. I've only seen it lead to lost friendships and broken relations so I do my best to listen, not badger, and to avoid mentioning it - sorry to mention it here - please don't hold this against me or form an oppinion on me I don't do the same about you.

Community: Debator
What has led to my involvement in it: I was an articulate but otherwise disjoint and nervous speaker. I wanted to improve so I joined. And am grateful - I've learned so much and had so much fun!
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being on the Debate Team is an extension of my personality privately because it has allowed me to become more succinct and concise in all my communications - which has boosted my grades and my confidence. Being on the Debate Team is an extension of my personality socially because it has allowed me to meet mny new and wonderful people, travel outside the country and con $62 worth of merchandise out of a bunch of random Canadians in a matter of two hours. - thank you also Carney Heritage...!

Community: Carney
What has led to my involvement in it: I needed a job when I was thirteen and so I went to the fair-grounds a week before the fair began, while everyone was setting up their stands, found a job and have been doing it ever since. It's been seven years and I love it still.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being a Carney is an extension of my personality privately because it gave me the confidence and the comfort to be outgoing, to smile and to not get so upset when one person doesn't like me. There will be more chances, so many more. Being a Carney is an extension of my personality socially because it has led to my outgoing personality and my ability to slip into and out of social situations with ease - when I want to! - and it has allowed me to be the dichotomy I am - the extroverted introvert.

Community: APO Fraternity Member
What has led to my involvement in it: I was a member of FBLA and Key Club in HS. These were enjoyable experiences and APO is built on similar principles so I figured: sure, why not? I joined also with the hope of better understand how to interact socially in new and unfamiliar situations. I thik I've gotten worse, but I am trying new things and so at least there's that.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being an APO Fraternity Member is an extension of my personality privately because it allows me to care for and about others and gives me an excuse to be nice. Not that one needs such, but I do, I feel like if you do something nice out of the blue - like I tend to do - people assume you want something - which is not the case with me. Being an APO Fraternity Member is an extension of my personality socially because it is everything I am not but want to become.

Community: Book Lover, avid reader/writer
What has led to my involvement in it: When I was young, I retreated from an abusive world into the page. At first I found little I liked to read - little that really spoke to and connected with me, so I wrote my own. I like to think I got better at it over the years. I still write and from time to time I find an engaging book which really does say something to me. I love to read and Love to write. Thus I'm an Avid Literature Fan.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Loving Literature is an extension of my personality privately because it is what shaped who I am deep down, inner and outer. This habbit has given me a betterunderstanding of self and a lot of other qualities I will not bore you with here. Comment if you really want the laundry list and the explanation. It's awefully somber and personal. Loving Literature is an extension of my personality socially because it had throughout the years given me the ability to connect with, understand and talk to my friends about their problems. It gave me a wiser disposition and ften times I have been told I am more mature and wiser than my years. I hope this is still true but have always dobuted it accuracy. What really happened is it allowed me to recognize pain and confusion in others, allowed me to articulate problems and solutions more readily and allowed me to empathize. This is the majority of who I am and I owe it to the page.

Community: Curly Girl
What has led to my involvement in it: I was born with Blonde ringlets. Over the years I've gotten smarter and my hair has gotten darker. My fun-loving personality though (and co-incidently my ringlets and curls) have not seen any change. I tried to hide my curls for years and hate friz still. But now - since my Freshman yr - I've begun to acccept my curly hair and work with it and wear it proudly. I stand tall a proud member of the Curly Girls club. Fun-Loving curly-haired women of the world - Unite! {D
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Being a Curly Girl is an extension of my personality privately because ever since I began to accepy my wild hair, I began to be more comfortable with who I am and what I'm about. I used to be afraid to show that side to the outside world without everything in place, now I've learned to work with the fly-away's and the frizz of life and even found a sense ofpersonal control and love. Being a Curly Girl is an extension of my personality socially because it has let to others looking at me diferently and has led to a more fulfilling less sstructured, less all-around social life. This has given me the opportunity to be comfortable in the world and comfortable in new and scary settings.

Community: Chior
What has led to my involvement in it: I have for a very long time been involved in music and vocal programs. Grade-school on I've enjoyed vocalizing and music and so it was only natural that I continue to enjoy this aspect of life - making music - here at R-MC. And I do. I enjoy every minute of it.
To what degree is my membership and extension of private a/o social aspects of my personality: Chior is an extension of my personality privately because it has given me the confidence and the ability to sing in the best and worst of times and music itself has helped me through much of the gloom. Chior is an extension of my personality socially because it gives me an outlet in which I am able to sometimes be outgoing, absurd and fun. It is informal, creative, and yet so very structured. The atmosphere itself leaves a person condusive to learning, sharing and enjoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter download
Tracker Raven