Storytime... (KISS)

...the twisted little way I have of writing...

Monday, April 24, 2006

Post for 4/24/06

Shannon Hollender
Prof. Mingus
Performance Analysis
Due: 2/27/06
Post-Performance Analysis
Words:
This piece contained many strong words which required pausing before and/or after them to accentuate their importance, I was able to emphasize the importance in such phrases such as “intimacy alert” though I couldn’t quite do it right in my mind and I couldn’t nail down exactly what I did wrong but I hope you did so I may discover it and fix it for the future. What needed to be more effectively in performance I made strong effort to humanize, slow down and to characterize each word that I found to be important and valuable. The performance required attention to the emotions in the phrases and the words to be most effective and I believe I put that into the performance, though I may have done it a bit too much.
Persona:
The persona as written is a love-sick, perpetually addicted man, as I am a woman I changed the maleness but left the rest. It seems to fit and work as many of the students were not surprised or put off in reaction – as far as I saw, by the implied lesbianism in the piece.
Locus:
As the location is more a frame of mind than an actual location. I tried to ensure that it was clear that the character talks about his needs and feelings in a conversation with a friend, confidant or even perhaps a therapist. Thankfully this is a very well written piece so I did not need to worry too much about what I had to do to portray this clearly. Didn’t want to over-do it but I think I did.
Climax:
A) logical: The logical climax of the piece was when the character met the “other woman” who happens to be his girl-friend. I think I overdid everything else so I ended up way overdoing this in compensation.
B) emotional: At the logical climax, emotion needed to portray a nervousness and a sense of relief all at once. This is elaborated in the last portion of the piece and is summarized in the final three words which are the true emotional climax. I think perhaps I may have done this right but I hoped at the same time I’d be able to recognize what right was. I instead placed myself in the required mindset of the piece and felt my way out of the proverbial box the rest of the way through the piece. I felt the ending rather than performed it, I only hope it was believable.
Aesthetic Components:
The aesthetic components of the piece all relied heavily upon the performance and the way the interpreter (me) chose to speak with body-language and emotions. There needed to be a certain methodic almost compulsory feel to the way I re-told the events but it needed to be balanced out by randomness and a sense of “craziness.” I think I may have overdone the frantic feel to the character and I believe I may have done too much and by it mussed with the balance and the person-ability and thereby the believe-ability of the piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter download
Tracker Raven