Storytime... (KISS)

...the twisted little way I have of writing...

Sunday, February 19, 2006

J/ Choose the "controversy"

J/ Choose the "controversy" you will be working with all semester. Write a one page, in-depth, detailed description of your controversy AND describe the characteristics of the community that you are examining your controversy as part of. This should be a community to which you belong.

For a brief and general description that will be elaborated later: The literary industry, namely novel writers and publishers are up in arms about recent movements by Libraries to post books to the internet, effectively creating online libraries for consumers and effectively allowing book piracy, and effectively eliminating the salaries of writers.
This, though I obviously have some leanings, in my mind is a controversy I am on the fence about and is a controversy that I am very interested and concerned about.
Especially since I have the tendency to want to be a writer and get paid for it in the future.
The groups involved and implied in this controversy span many different occupations and hold many different interests and opinions. I will be unable to exclude many groups – such as librarians, from this debate, though I myself am not a member. That being said I will do my darndest not only to present the opinions – both sides - of the groups to which I belong – namely writers, but to also accurately and thoroughly present and incorporate the opinions of other groups affecting this argument.
The characteristics of the two main groups inherent in the basic debate and main issue is the writers and their publishers, who have interest in profit for the ability to continue writing, as well as copy-write issues, and the writers who are finding a wide-open market willing to publish them, as well as those who are interested in making literature more readily available to the public than a public library already does.. Both sides have respectable honest causes – and both sides are with decent points supporting their causes. It shall be interesting learning more about this cause and its corollaries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter download
Tracker Raven