Storytime... (KISS)

...the twisted little way I have of writing...

Monday, April 03, 2006

do virgins taste better post performance analysis

Shannon Hollender
Prof. Mingus
Post Performance Analysis
Due: 4/3/06
Post Performance Analysis
“Do Virgins Taste Better” - Randy Farran
The Dragon's Retorte (original version) - Claire Stephens McMurray
Words:
This piece contained a few strong words which required pausing before and after them. This accentuated their importance. Words such as “Dragon”, “Virgin” and “Juicy” were accentuated in this way and with more of an emphasis as was needed. Or so you pointed out to me. Also some phrases such as “I am a Dragon” and “Listen to me” needed to be drawn out as needed to boom and growl better than what I was able to do. These phrases needed to be exemplified by more of a gesture and stance too which I think I portrayed well enough by calling up to the dragon and talking down to the men. To me, this was the way they were most likely to be effective in the performance. The performance required attention to the accent as it is an Irish folklore piece which I think I did fairly well considering. As for subduing the phrase and the title “Do Virgins Taste Better” perhaps trying to catch people off guard wasn’t the best idea for effect.
Persona:
The persona as written in both these pieces was somewhat similar. I’d chosen an Irish accent for both men and Dragon. The dragon was intended to be a bit more subdued and worldly, low tones were meant to be characteristic of the Dragon. But I could not easily boom so well with such little practice. I went for the almost too quick in speech, nervous peasant sound, but stumbled when I remembered to slow down. In hopes of exemplifying that the peasants aren’t too happy about the dragon snatching up all their virgins, I tried for annoyance, but it was completely nullified by the humor and light-heartedness with which the rest of the piece was handled. As the character in both seemed to be male, I attempted to accentuate their tough nature with humorously almost drunken, light-heartedness. It didn’t work – I can’t seem to pull off humor well. It seemed to do ok though, I was complimented after class and even caught a few grins, and you said it was ok. I think I need more practice at humor though.
Locus:
The location was more of a frame of mind than an actual location. I turned to the conversational feel the pieces had instead of trying to portray country-side and caverns. As for the conversation taking place in the country-side and like; that was portrayed well enough by the words – such that I didn’t need to give it any other thought. I was, however, trying to “over-do it” as you suggested and felt unable to growl, snarl, boom better as the Dragon, and unable to do as much bodily portrayal as I had hoped to do. I kept my feet relatively well-planted at least I moved from character to character very deliberately. Hopefully it worked out.
Climax:
A) logical: The logical climax of the piece was when the character asked the dragon if Virgins taste better. I was hoping to get a laugh or two but was sad I did not seem to. Though humor was found at the dragon’s response of “Yesss!”
B) emotional: The emotional climax occurred when the man talks of the pretty virgins and his remedy – exuberance was shown. And also when the dragon talked about his health problems and tried to reason why it is ok for him to eat virgins emotion was tried for. But it is so hard to make a tear-jerking moment come from so much light-hearted humour. This point instead ended up being portrayed as a high-and-mighty, I-know-better-than-you sense of self-righteousness. Almost haughtiness on the part of the dragon The piece seemed however to focus mainly on the concept of virgins tasting better rather than emotion – which was fine by me.
Aesthetic Components:
The aesthetic components of the piece all relied heavily upon the performance and the way I choose to speak and move. Emotions and tones were key and I moved very consciously and deliberately. There needed to be more of a free-flowing feel with undertones of drunk though for both parties. The questions asked and the answers given beg to be sung – which makes sence it’s an irish folk-song – and so it needed more… something… whisky I guess. But the piece also needs to be balanced out more by a sense of its own… for lack of better… virginity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter download
Tracker Raven